Thursday, June 5, 2008

MEDICARE--A NECESSARY EVIL

Wow! Leaving California a year ago was easy. Getting back in isn't! It was hard enough driving myself back to my home state of 40 years, but taking care of business to be reinstated as a RESIDENT is just a pain in my ASS!

My daughter welcomed me into her home to allow me to settle down and make plans for my future. I did that. Made arrangements for my money to be transferred to local bank and called Social Security/Medicare to change address. I called Kaiser Permanente to transfer my medical insurance from VA to CA. A representative came out to my daughter's home, my home as fas as anyone else is concerned. She took my information and left to complete my enrollment. I got a letter that they needed proof of residency! I went to Social Security and had a print out made and mailed it to them in order to insure medical coverage on June 1st. NOT! The Kaiser people said Medicare want my name on a utility bill that connects me to my daughter's address. I called Medicare and they said they had my change of address on file and that is all they need. I call that Passing the Buck! WTF?

So I am in the process of getting registered to vote, getting a library card and a CA drivers license and anything else that proves I live here. My question is----when did it become a law that if you live with your children you have to be on the utility bills. I am 70 years of age and should be able to camp out with my kids. VA didn't give a crap who I lived with as long as I paid the premium! California needs to get over herself!

My daughter placed a complaint with The Joint Commission. Let's see how long it takes to hear from them. Oh, I had already applied to The Orchard, Active Senior Living for an apt. which has a waiting list of 2 - 8 months. So I am screwed til then.

So plan your retirement better than I did!

4 comments:

M.s Dona said...

Hello Earlene, It is nice to hear from you via my blog. Sounds like you are doing okay..just waiting to bust out on your own again...it will happen sooner than you think, I'm sure. Most good ppl don't wait long on those lists. Funny how all thses rules to help and protect us really don't help us at all. Where did all this red tape come from? China? Russia? the dreaded communists? why do they call it red tape. Good for your daughter!
One of my daughters moved to San Diego right out of Bard College and I have to say- she hated it.... she was an art major and she said it was too pastel for her!

Earlene said...

Hi Sal Gal so good to hear from you. I miss NY. I miss my little sister and her horses and dogs. I shoulda tried harder to stay there. The main reason I didn't was that the area was so isolated! I need to be around lottsa people. I did call the apt place yesterday to remind them that I am still waiting and not so patiently. She said she had been calling people but no one responded. More red tape I imagine. Is the weather any better?How's the job going.

chefmom said...

Well if that doesn't suck!! That is so unfair! What if you were unable to care for yourself and moved there foe assistance??? Then what?
You sound great. I think making this move was just what you needed. Hey, you had an adventure right? Got to see some new places, traveled and now you get to eat kelly's wonderful food!!

my blog said...

Well I think you should take it as your new birth and enjoy this period,Its not that bad.



Affiliate Marketing Tips