Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Life in Upstate New York in Winter

Here I am in my new home in upstate New York. It is a small town that dates back to 1793 so it says in topiary bushes in front of the Town Hall. It has a post office , a wonderful country store where you can purchase almost anything. You have to pay a little more but the convenience is worth it. Who wants to drive 20 miles for a quart of milk? I found a wonderful watering hole. Having spent a lot of years working in the restaurant business, I enjoy sitting and having a brewsky and chatting with the locals or listening to their conversations.



Keep in mind that I live alone with my cat Emily out in the middle of a huge field. I can see other houses because the trees have lost their leaves, but I am not close enough to see anyone to say "hello". I like people and want to be around them. My sister and her husband live close by and I do visit with them. They are very quiet and I am not. Sooooooo I must be careful not to wear out my welcome.



I am kinda sorry I signed a year lease for my apartment. It is a salt box type? and has lots of windows which will be great when I settle down and decide to do art and crafts. I do not have comfortable furniture yet. My sister has loaned me a bed, dresser a little kitchen table and 2 chairs and a queen anne type chair for watching tv which I had to buy. The kitchen is fine and so I have all that I need. But I want more. Like a comfy couch to lie upon while watching tv.



The worst part of my new accomodations is that there is no driveway to the house. You just drive across the field which is ok if it doesn't rain too much. It did today and I got stuck. Not happy. I will learn to park just off the little road when the weather is not great, which is most of the time here in Stanfordville.



So what do you think about my adventure so far? I know, "She's nuts".

No comments: